Day/Time: Wednesdays, 6:30 – 8:30 pm, 10 weeks., starting February 21, 2018
Class Size: 6-10 participants
Cost: $60/session for 10 weekly sessions, Discounted if you pay in two installments
Insurance: Documentation provided to file for out-of-network reimbursement
Status: Now enrolling for February 21, 2018
Information: Email firstname.lastname@example.org
Do you worry about other people’s perceptions and feel judged, embarrassed or humiliated in public?
Do you often blush, have a shaky voice, feel faint or dizzy, or worry that other people can notice your anxiety?
Has your life become smaller as you hide in the background, avoid going out, and isolate yourself?
Adults and teens 16+ are invited to participate in the Mindfulness and Acceptance for Social Anxiety and Shyness Group, a 10-week group designed to help clients take back their lives from social anxiety. The group uses a modern, cutting-edge cognitive behavioral therapy called Acceptance and Commitment Therapy, a mindfulness based therapy that has been found to be highly effective in the treatment of a myriad of psychological concerns. This powerful group will help clients shift the way that they experience and perceive their anxiety and design a life that is consistent with their core personal values, allowing them to connect with others and create meaningful and life-enhancing relationships.
WHO IS AT RISK?
Anxiety is by far the most commonly experienced mental health concern and social anxiety disorder (SAD) ranks number one of all the anxiety disorders. Up to 13 percent of the population will suffer from full blown SAD at some point in their lives. Many others who don’t meet criteria for a full blown diagnosis will still experience significant levels of social anxiety at times in their lives.
WHO WILL BENEFIT?
This group is designed to help people who are frightened or fearful of the following situations:
- Meeting new people
- Being watched while they do something
- Making small talk
- Being the center of attention
- Going on a date or to a party
- Speaking up in class or at a meeting
- Being teased or criticized
- Making a presentation
HOW WILL YOU BENEFIT?
Clients will learn how to:
- Change their relationship to their anxious thoughts and feelings.
- Become less caught up in and impacted by socially anxious thoughts.
- Live in the present moment instead of worrying about the future and ruminating on the past.
- Identify the person they want to be in social situations (their personal values) and start building relationships and connecting with people in a way that is consistent with those values.
- Overcome social anxiety.
ABOUT THE CLASS
This proven approach combines the power of Acceptance and Commitment Therapy (ACT), a cutting edge behavioral therapy, with mindfulness training. As part of the class you will:
- Attend one 2-hour class per week for 10 weeks.
- Complete homework – estimated 30-60 minutes per day – mindfulness meditation, reading, filling out homework sheets, practicing behavioral experiments.
Participants will be required to read The Mindfulness and Acceptance Workbook for Social Anxiety and Shyness by Jan Fleming and Nancy Kocovski. The cost of this book will be part of registration and will be provided to participants on the first day of group.