DBT Academy 2018
Leading the way in DBT education and certification support in the St. Louis area
Thinking about becoming certified in one of the most researched and highly effective treatment modalities to date? Does the process seem daunting or overwhelming? Our program can help you get through it all easily and efficiently.
Take a look at the requirements for National DBT Certification and what DBT academy offers you.
DBT Certification Requirements
(according to DBT-Linehan Board of Certification)
|1. Education: You will need a graduate degree in a mental health-related field from an educational program at a regionally accredited institution of higher education||This is also a requirement for enrollment in DBT Academy|
|2. Licensure: You must have a license. Conditional or provisional licenses are not accepted.||Candidates with licenses will be given preference in the selection process. ALL applicants MUST have a minimum of 1 year post-graduate work, including direct clinical service experience and be within one year of licensure.|
|3. DBT-Related Educational/Training experiences — minimum of 40 didactic training hours specific to DBT||DBT Academy students will receive a total of 51 hours of face-to-face training over the year of the program. This includes a 3 hour orientation at the beginning of the program and 1 hour of weekly DBT education Mondays 2:30-3:30 for 48 weeks. CEUs will be provided at the end of the program and based on number of face-to-face hours of education completed.|
|4. Clinical Experience in DBT — three clients for whom you have done the following: Oriented to the treatment (structure, theory, goals/targets and commitments), provided regularly scheduled individual DBT therapy, made available phone coaching, had diary card and treatment targets that met the DBT Stage I hierarchy||DBT Academy clinicians will be given the opportunity to subcontract with STLDBT and see 1-3 DBT clients to work with for 6-12 months. Students will be trained in and expected to complete all required Stage I treatment requirements under supervision. Student may choose to be A.) paid a subcontracted rate of $30/session for sessions with those clients, or B.) use the session fees to pay down Academy tuition (which is $275/month for 12 months)|
|5. DBT Team experiences — There are two requirements here: (1) a total of 12 months of participation in one or more DBT consultation teams; and (2) current participation on a DBT Team||DBT Academy students will participate in a weekly DBT team consult meeting which meets all requirements set forth by DBT –Linehan Board of Certification. STLDBT will provide the team leader, space, and weekly education in addition to the meeting itself for one year.|
|6. DBT Skills knowledge/experience — You will be required to attest to having done the following three things: (1) read the Skills Training Manual for Treating Borderline Personality Disorder by Marsha Linehan, (2) done all the homework assignments in the manual and (3) taught or participated as a student in all modules of skills training OR taught all DBT skills within individual therapy and coached clients in the application of the skills.
|DBT Academy will offer weekly education after team consult that will include expert-lead lectures, peer-lead study groups, and discussions of the readings from books and articles by Linehan and other authors. Students may also have the opportunity to co-lead DBT groups if available.|
|7. Exam — Based on the treatment manual – Cognitive-Behavioral Treatment of Borderline Personality Disorder by Marsha Linehan||DBT Academy Lead Instructor, Casey Limmer, was among the very first exam takers and passed the first time. She will advise students of DBT Academy who wish to pursue certification. Students are also encouraged to form an exam study group.|
|8. Letter of Recommendation — A letter of recommendation as to your character and competency as a DBT practitioner will be required from your Team Leader.||This letter can be provided by Nationally Certified DBT Therapist, Casey Limmer, provided students meet requirements for competency by the end of the program|
|9. Work Product Demonstration — You will be asked to submit a Case Conceptualization for a client for whom you will also be providing videotapes of 3 consecutive live therapy sessions. The Case Conceptualization will be reviewed. If passed successfully, you will then be asked to submit the video tapes, which will then be coded to evidence-based adherence standards for DBT.||Additional supervision may be requested at additional fee for those students seeking certification and would like more guidance and input on completing this task. Casey will review your tapes prior to you submitting them for certification and provide a preliminary coded report|
|10. Mindfulness Experience — Formal training and current ongoing practice in mindfulness is required and can be demonstrated by at least one of the following four experiences (provide dates and descriptions for each): A mindfulness retreat, formal practice community participation, formally a student of a recognized Zen/contemplative teacher, and/or at least one formal training in mindfulness.||Formal Training: STLDBT offers an MBCT course (at a cost of $45 per session for 10 sessions).
Current ongoing practice: STLDBT contract therapists conduct free (donations accepted) weekly community mindfulness sits on Saturday mornings
- 1 Year DBT full-immersion, experiential course
- Small personalized instruction — 5-10 “students” per year
- By the end, you will meet all 10 requirements for DBT certification
- Students may be provided with 1-3 DBT clients at the discretion of STLDBT staff
- Students may use client session fees to pay down tuition ($30 per session may be used to pay down tuition of $275/month)
- This means if student conducts 9+ sessions per month, the program is FREE for that month.
- Students who conduct more than 9 sessions per month, are paid as a sub-contractor of STLDBT at $30 per session
- Students may co-lead DBT groups
- Students earn $5 per group participant (we average 6-8 participants per group) which may also be paid as a sub-contractor or used to reduce tuition
- Applications will be accepted until November 1, 2017. Interviews will be conducted throughout November and candidates will be notified of acceptance in December. Programming will begin January of 2018.
- Applicants must be available to attend DBT team consult meetings every Monday from 1-2:30PM and DBT lecture/education hour from 2:30-3:30.
- Applicants who choose NOT to see STLDBT clients will be required to have at least 2 clients through their regular employment with whom they will conduct DBT Stage I treatment. These students will also be expected to pay full fee tuition ($275/month for 12 months).
- Weekly training will be conducted primarily by lead lecturer and Nationally Certified DBT therapist, Casey Limmer, assisted by junior staff throughout.
- 75% of weekly education hours will be taught by STLDBT staff and 25% will be peer-led – the best way to learn is to teach!
- Graduate degree in a mental health-related field from an educational program at a regionally accredited institution of higher education
- License: Candidates with licenses will be given preference in the selection process. ALL applicants MUST have a minimum of 1 year post-graduate work, including direct clinical service experience and be within one year of licensure.
- Ideal candidates will have completed a basic 1-2 day DBT course prior to starting DBT Academy. This is not a requirement but without a basics course, the student may not be ready to take an STLDBT client until 3+ months into the program. If you have not had a basics course, consider attending one via dbtmo.org. They are FREE! Casey will be leading a DBT course soon through Gateway Wellness Associates. More info and dates to come.
- Must be available to meet Mondays from 1PM-3:30PM. Absences are allowed but tuition is NOT prorated based on absence.
- If participant takes on an STLDBT client:
- Must sign a 1099 contract with STLDBT
- Must provide a W9
- Must provide proof of malpractice insurance, NPI and Tax-ID #
- Complete this online application form. If the form will not submit, just email the info requested below to firstname.lastname@example.org.